Travel shop and resources..

Foot & Mouth: England
Update: 4th April 2001
Source: Ministry of Agriculture, Food & Fisheries

Tourism Hotline 0870 241 5659 Open seven days a week, 10am to 8pm

A Hotline has been set up to tell the public which tourist attractions are unaffected by foot-and-mouth.

Environment Minister Michael Meacher said 'It is perfectly possible for people to return to most of the countryside and do the things they want to do without, in any way, risking the spread of this disease as long as they follow very simple rules.'

English Tourism Council chief executive Mary Lynch said: ' With the help of the hotline, visitors will be able to find out as much as they can about the situation at the local level and where they can still enjoy the great English country side.'

The Government is issuing the following advice to the general public.

The key message for the general public is to avoid all contact with susceptible livestock and not to go on to farm premises or cross land where livestock are or may be kept.

Where you can go now

Anywhere in the countryside, as long as you follow this advice, you can visit:

  • towns, villages and seaside resorts pubs, restaurants and cafes shops and markets
  • churches, museums, art galleries and historic buildings outdoor attractions with no susceptible animals
  • sporting, recreational or other special events.
  • Many parks, outdoor attractions with animals, beaches and some zoos may also be open.

What you can do now

Anywhere in the countryside, as long as you follow this advice, you can:

  • stay in hotels, guesthouses or other permanent accommodation
  • drive, walk, run, ride horses, cycle on or beside tarmacked roads
  • travel by all forms of public transport
  • hold meetings or conferences (livestock farmers choosing to attend should follow MAFF guidance)
  • participate in sporting, recreational or other special events away from farmland
  • deliver newspapers and other supplies by road (other than where there are special arrangements for farms under restriction).
  • In some places you can: stay in caravans or tents walk, ride, cycle or drive on rights of way or in open countryside go sailing, fishing, rowing or canoeing

What you should not do

  • Do not go near cattle, sheep, pigs or deer, wherever you are, and never feed farm animals. If you find yourself near these animals, walk away from them.
  • Do not go on farmland which has been or is being used by livestock
  • Do not leave any waste food in open countryside or on farmland.
  • Do not use footpaths that are closed. Particularly in areas close to infected farms, local authorities may have closed footpaths. You must obey these closures.

Do not let your dog off its lead as it may cause animal movements.

Where you will be able to go and what you will be able to do soon

Many organisations are considering lifting their current restrictions in the light of the Chief Veterinary Officer's guidance. In particular:

  • the National Trust will be opening or re-opening selected properties; English Heritage will be opening or re-opening more properties (many are still open);
  • the Forestry Commission is looking at opening some woodlands;
  • British Waterways will be re-opening some canals from 26 March and is discussing re-opening some towpaths with local authorities;
  • local authorities and National Park Authorities will be reviewing whether more rights of way and areas of open countryside can safely be re-opened as the spread of the disease becomes clearer.

Key websites are:

This guidance applies in England only. The administrations in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales have been involved in its development and have issued or will be issuing their own guidance based on their particular circumstances.


Email this page to a friend | Return to top of page
Part of the Golf Today Network